THE BILDNER PRIZES
Celebrating its 40th anniversary in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, the Department is pleased to announce the following list of prizes for undergraduates in Yale College.
Albert Bildner, Yale Class of 1937, Prizes in Latin American Languages and Literatures, administered by the Department of Spanish and Portuguese.
Awarded for high achievement in the Spanish and Portuguese languages and in Latin American Literature. Four prizes of $500 to be awarded as follows:
1. In honor of Professor José Juan Arrom (Yale, '37), Professor of Spanish and Latin American Literature at Yale from 1945 to 1975. For an outstanding essay to be written in acceptable Spanish on any subject in Latin American Literature; it will be judged mainly for the originality and importance of the ideas presented therein. All undergraduates studying Spanish at Yale are eligible to compete.
2. In memory of Patricia Bildner. For an outstanding essay written in Portuguese on any subject in Brazilian literature. The paper is to be written in acceptable Portuguese; however, it will be judged mainly for the originality and importance of the ideas presented therein. All undergraduates studying Portuguese are eligible to compete.
3. To that graduating senior who has achieved a high academic average in Spanish courses, and has also demonstrated the greatest development in his or her knowledge of the Spanish language and Hispanic literature since beginning the study of Spanish at Yale. The student must have taken a satisfactory number of courses in Spanish language and Hispanic literature.
4. In honor of Prof. K. David Jackson, the Brazil prize is awarded to a graduating senior who has achieved a high academic average in Portuguese courses, and has also demonstrated the greatest development in his or her knowledge of the Portuguese language and Luso-Brazilian literature at Yale. The student must have taken a satisfactory number of courses in Portuguese language and in Luso-Brazilian literature.
For more information, please contact (DUS, Spanish), Prof. Susan Byrne; Prof. K. David Jackson (DUS, Portuguese), or Virginia Gutiérrez, Undergraduate Registrar, at 2-5439.
The deadline for submitting appropriate projects is April 25, 2012.
The Albert Bildner Travel Prize, administered by the Council of Latin American and Iberian Studies, Yale Center for International and Area Studies.
The Albert Bildner Travel prize of $1000 will be awarded to a Yale College student who is in his or her junior year for research in the field the summer between the junior and senior years. Students who are doing research on Latin America for their senior essays are eligible to apply; preference will be given to Latin American Studies majors. A brief proposal (no more than three pages) written in Spanish or Portuguese indicating how a summer in the field would enhance the senior essay is required. For details, contact the Council on Latin American and Iberian Studies in the Yale Center for International and Area Studies, MacMillan Hall, Room 342, at 2-3422, or go online to http://www.yale.edu/macmillan/undergraduate.htm for more information.
LENIE MORALES PRIZE IN GRADUATE STUDIES
In 1990, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese established the "C. Malcolm Batchelor Award in Memory of Adalenie Morales" to honor the memory of a graduate student, Lenie Morales, who died suddenly while on research leave from the program.
The purpose of the Morales Prize is to support research or language study (the latter, in an approved program) in Portugal or Brazil. The amount of the annual prize is $1600.
Interested students should submit their completed proposals, addressed to the Director of Graduate Studies and delivered to Ginny Gutiérrez, by TBA.
Applications should consist of:
(1) a detailed description of the proposed research or course of language study (the latter should include a brochure from the selected program);
(2) the proposed destination and length of stay;
(3) an account of the relevance of the proposal to the student's course of doctoral study;
(4) a tentative budget (estimated cost of airfare and other transportation, estimated cost of lodging and meals);
(5) an updated curriculum vitae.